2 coasts ... 1 HOPE


On January 6th 2009, I will be flying out to LA and walking back to Boston, raising money for cancer research. The route I'm taking should take 5 months and cover roughly 3,800 miles. We will be filming the entire trip for an upcoming documentary.

Monday, January 26, 2009

2 signs, a bracelet and a smile maker

It's been three days since my last online access. Not that much has happened. I've been walking down the straightest road I've ever seen, with pretty much the same view. This is the sign into the first town I came across from Parker, AZ (notice the number of grouches has been changed, HAHA)



The next three towns were, for the most part all the same size. They had a diner, a gas station and a general store for the most part.

Yesterday, I ran into a fellow traveler named Jason. He was riding bike from Alabama to Oregon to look for work. Check out his travelpod . We exchanged a little info. and both headed in separate directions. Good luck with your travels, Jason.

I've been in my tent the last three nights and that's been a new thing. I set up around 6 my time, when the sun starts setting, and I'm there until it creeps over the mountains around 7-7:30ish. So what do I do with all that time, you ask? Well I'll write in my journal and make a few calls (guess to who, hehe) then I fall asleep. I'd like to walk longer into the night, but the road's shoulder is too narrow and oncoming cars are scary enough during the day.

This morning I woke up just outside of Aquila, AZ with frost on my tent. It fell to about 35 degrees last night. I stayed warm in my tent, but I was surely surprised to see that. Also I had to fix my first flat tire. The thorns on the desert plants are no joke. On my way out of town I turned to see this sign


So by my math I've walked 10 miles less then it would take to drive to LA from this sign (as of yesterday my total was 307).

Well tonight I'm in Wickenburg, AZ, at the Inn, thanks to my sister Kristin who took care of business for me. Thanks Kristin, see you in a few days. Taking a shower was amazing as I'm sure sleeping in the bed will be.

Tomorrow I head to Peoria where I'll be CouchSurfing for the first time. I'm looking forward to it, it should be fun.

Let me take care of something I've been meaning to do. I need to send thank you's to Karen Davidson of The Forum and Sarah Gonet of The Standard-Times for their great articles.

A couple days back I passed this Arizona Highway Patrol officer, check his wrist


First person I've talked to with a LIVESTRONG bracelet. Represent.

From the "what's in the Ipod" file: This is a song that no matter my mood I smile and sing along. One of my feel good songs.....

Of course mines the album version not the rocking "live" one. HAHA



Day 19 total: 25.5
Jesse Walks America: 332.5

2 comments:

Steven said...

that sign was funny, not as funny as Hanson....mmmmm walk, duby dan doo , mmmmmm walk, dont stop, mmmmm walk. enjoy the shower and bed. how is the stroller working out ?? stay safe...

Skip Potts said...

Hey Jesse, think you'll be headed as far south as Odessa, TX? I think it might be a good place to meet up if the timing works out.