2 coasts ... 1 HOPE


On January 6th 2009, I will be flying out to LA and walking back to Boston, raising money for cancer research. The route I'm taking should take 5 months and cover roughly 3,800 miles. We will be filming the entire trip for an upcoming documentary.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Walk 100 miles and win a Slushie

Today started for me at 4:30 am here in California. I placed a call to JR and Sharon on a radio station back home, FUN 107. I talked to them for a few minutes giving them a quick update. Thanks guys. Talk to you again soon.

We got to route a little earlier today and I was walking by 7:45. Today I had the goal off 21 miles to reach 100 total. My shin felt okay but it was going to be a long day. As I walked, I started climbing and climbing. It felt like the whole day was spent walking up hill.

I told the team that I would be taking longer breaks today to try and save my shin. At around noon and 14 miles I found a nice little tree to take a nap under. When I woke up I knew I was going to reach my goal.

At the 18 mile mark I meet up with the team. I told them how my left shin was feeling like my right one and I was hoping there wasn't much more up. WRONG ! As I was walking on the right side of the road, preparing for a right turn up ahead, I was hit be something. It hit me in the backpack with enough force to knock me forward. What was it? Some "tough guys" driving by thought it would be funny to throw a Slushie at me. Once I spun around and realized what had hit me and spun around again the truck was in the distance. The flavor of Hater-aid was Grape.



Right after, I blogged quickly on Twitter about it and my new friend BJ, who is finishing his cross country walk, text me. He wanted me to know that "Bad experiences turn into good stories later." Also he hit 100 miles left in his walk within 15 minutes of me hitting 100 miles walked.

I continued UP hill and found the guys once again. After I shared my story, this was the view we had.



So I've walked 100 miles in 5 days and my shins feel it. With the day done, we headed to Palm Desert and saw this wind field that went on for miles.



Tomorrow we are taking the day off from walking so I can heal up a bit. We are going to drive down to Niland, CA to Salvation Mountain. I've wanted to go there and meet Leonard Knight since seeing Into The Wild. I'm really excited.



Day 5 total: 24.7
Jesse Walks America total: 103.9


why did the chicken cross the county?



THIS IS MY 43rd POST. HA!

6 comments:

MUM said...

To get to the other coast would be my guess.

Unknown said...

She was ducking a flying sluchie.

Steven said...

tough guys are everywhere. forget them. your walking across the country with a cause,they are throwing slushies,, who is making a difference in this world?? enjoy your day off. congrats on the hundred mile mark!!!

Mette said...

Hey Jesse.
This project you've got going on is extraordinary!
Looking forward to follow your blog throughout the journey.

-Mette (your second cousin in Norway) :)

Steven said...

43rd huh ????? ohh boy ;)

Pat said...

Hi im pat your third cousin age ten. My moms name is Melaine Sweet. I just want to tell you that what you are doing is amazing! Keep it up!