2 coasts ... 1 HOPE


On January 6th 2009, I will be flying out to LA and walking back to Boston, raising money for cancer research. The route I'm taking should take 5 months and cover roughly 3,800 miles. We will be filming the entire trip for an upcoming documentary.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A New Hope: Episode "O"

Welcome change and our new leader.

Today I woke up at 5:30, my time, after a good night off sleeping. Got my tent and gear all packed up and headed out.


I talked to Kelly, quickly, as I do everyday as I start walking. That was the last phone service for about 5 hours. I had a couple blips when I could text out or texts came in but that was all. This is what I woke up to see



I was walking along, actually limping along, for a while when I first met up with Florian (the guy from a few post back). He was out my way bike riding and graciously was going to leave a few water drops for me. By the time he came back to where I was I was really hurting. We talked for a minute and I asked if he would mind giving me a lift to the nearest town. I had to decide if I was going to keep limping along or go see a doctor.

I called home and weighed my options. My mom said it sounded like good idea, so off we headed to Earp, CA. Earp, CA is on one side of the Colorado River and Parker, AZ is on the other. My mom and sister were home working out reservations for me at a local hotel so I could start healing.

Because Earp is smaller than Parker we drove into Arizona to scope out the local hotel and hospital locations. After we found where I had to be Florian drove me back into California, so I could walk into Arizona. I was thankful the hotel was just a block into the city. Florian and I said our good-byes and I thanked him again for his help. I checked in and made my phone calls home. Now we are going to see how I feel tomorrow and make the decision on a doctor visit.

That's where we stand, on one leg while the other gets iced. Not the way I wanted to get into my 2nd state, but what can you do. More tomorrow from the city of Parker, AZ.

Day 13 total: 19
Jesse Walks America total: 222.9
States down: 1
Poll ending total: 118.9

President Barack Omaba busts a move. This is going to be a fun four years I think.

No comments: