2 coasts ... 1 HOPE


On January 6th 2009, I will be flying out to LA and walking back to Boston, raising money for cancer research. The route I'm taking should take 5 months and cover roughly 3,800 miles. We will be filming the entire trip for an upcoming documentary.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

"C" is for cookie

Day 2 in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Last night I stayed with my CouchSurfing host, Michelle. She picked me up, dropped me at her place, told me how to get to the local coffee shop, Milagro, and had to go back to work. Later that night we went downtown with a couple of her friends, Jo and Craig who are from Connecticut (and surfed with Michelle last week) to an art exhibit. Afterward we returned to her place, where two other friends came by, Justin and Abby, and we watched a movie. The movie was Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus, it was very good.

We sat around and talked a bit before turning in.

Unfortunately, the string of strangers effected by cancer continued yesterday. Abby's mother had been told about another tumor that had developed. Not to get into her personal details, I know that my family wishes all the best for her and her family.

Today I got up, talked to Kelly, and headed to Milagro to start emailing local radio stations. Once I finished that I felt my primal urge kick in. The urge, for some reason, to go to the place I always go if I'm bored.....the mall. I located it on the map and it was only 2 miles, so off I went. What do you know it was pretty much the same as every mall. So back to the coffee shop to start figuring my route to Dallas.

So, I was working on that when my next CouchSurfing host called to set things up for tonight. Seems she works right down the street from Milagro, so I walked down to meet her. We sat and talked briefly, she was supposed to be working, and made plans to meet up later. Now I'm back at the coffee shop waiting for Michelle to finish her daily things so I can say my good-bye's and thank you's and begin a new adventure. Tonight, I'll be staying on the campus of New Mexico State University with a new friend, Jen.

Today was very relaxing and kinda boring so far. The boring part was by my choice, I guess. I just wanted to get those emails done and figure out my route a little. One of the things I told my step-dad before I left was that I wanted to teach myself to stop procrastinating. I'm trying, Bob, I really am. HAHA

I met up with Jen at the local grocery, where she had to grab somethings for dinner. We got back to her place and just started talking while she cooked. I grabbed a quick shower, we ate and headed out to one of her friend's to watch a movie.

Once all the introductions were made, the questions about the walk began. This is one of the things I love about doing this, talking to people who are genuinely interested. Everyone in the room seemed to enjoy my stories and I enjoyed telling them. I love when a group of total strangers and I share a laugh or two over my misadventures. While all this was happening Katie, whose dorm room we were in, made chocolate chip cookies. When they came out of the oven a line was formed like a soup kitchen. They were some good cookies.

We watched "Once" and the movie was good, but the soundtrack was terrific.

All in all it was a great night. The kindness of strangers is still amazing me. To be in a room with complete strangers and feel like you belong, is a great feeling. That has been my experience to date with CouchSurfing so far.

Any one who knows me, knows that my roots are strong with family and friends. So, you guys know how hard it is for me to be away. I miss you guys like crazy already. There isn't a day that I don't want to come home to regular life. So when I have the "right at home" feeling it makes things easier to deal with. I still miss you guys it just makes it a little easier.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on "Which came first...." It took a lot for me to get that one together.



Day 31 total: 0
Jesse Walks America total walked: 521.4
Jesse Walks America total rode: 276
Jesse Walks America total fresh baked cookies: 2 (really I only had 2)

1 comment:

MUM said...

I thought "C" stood for David Cook. lol